Popular LIMS discussions in 2012 on Linkedin

and the two leading LIMS user groups on Linkedin are LIMS/LI (with over 4,000 members)  and the LIMSforum ( with nearly 40,000 members).  If you are a LIMS user or professional and are not yet a member of these groups you will want to visit these groups and check out the great discussions below.  Some of these discussions have nearly 100 comments by user members!

As we near the end of 2012, I thought it would be good to identify the most popular discussions posted so far in 2012.  I went through the group I run (LIMSforum) and selected the most popular discussions for this year and I asked Terry Iorns, the group owner of LIMS/LI, to do the same.  There is very little overlap in the discussions between the 2 groups so you will want to be sure and visit both groups.

The following table provides links to those popular discussions that Terry and I found in each of our groups.  These discussions are still open and we invite you to jump into those discussions or start your own.  The members in these groups are friendly and very helpful and welcome the chance to answer questions from end users.  Don’t be shy, all questions and comments are warmly welcomed.

Click on the discussion you are interested in to read the entire posting!

Popular Discussions (lots of posted comments)

2012 LIMS Buyer’s Guide now available for download

The most comprehensive list of LIMS Vendors / Products in the industry

Does anyone use a Serial-to-Ethernet device to interface lab software to serial instruments?

Is a LIMS the platform of choice for the future “Integrated Lab”

In the environmental analytical contract lab industry, are value-added services becoming “the norm” and part of clients’ expectations?

Today, Excel is widely used for data capture/performing some basic data analysis tasks. Based on our study, we found below listed challenges ..Read More

When a vendor releases is new version of their software and the data model is fundamentally changed, should this be classified as an UPGRADE, MIGRATE or NEW SYSTEM? What is our experience and opinion?

Would you want to “Test Drive” lab informatics software before you buy it?

Does anybody know if it is possible to run LIMS in virtual machine VMware media?

What is the best LIMS for next-generation genomics/Sequencing samples?

How would you rate the quality of Open Source Software compared to commercial software

Combined Systems: LIMS/ELN

Has anyone integrated a LIMS and a Manufacturing Execution System (MES)?

What keeps you from getting a LIMS for your lab?

Lab Scheduling Software

It’s time to run Java out of town, are LIMS built on Java the next to go?

Is there any use or need for a Wiki in the laboratory?

Hi, did anyone use a LIMS for sequencing core facility? I am now testing Gnomex wich is open source and designed for highthrouput sequencing platform. That looks to give us satisfaction.

Amazon offers cloud apps at hourly rates from IBM, SAP, others – what about LIMS and ELN

Are there any good work group collaboration tools that can be an alternative to a LIMS?

Anyone know of a solid QBD (quality by design) program for small scale PD? Needs to be OPC

Which type of software license is of best value?

Does Open Source have some advantages when it comes to validation?

What is the most important trend for Lab Informatics Software?

Consumerization of IT, will this be a trend for Laboratory Informatics?

Suggestions for an inexpensive barebone LIMS

Does “Big Data” apply to Lab Informatics in ways other than Next Generation Sequencing (NGS)?

Hi Group, I was wondering if anyone has some advice or recommendations for a stand alone Blood Banking application.

What do you use for Data Mining, especially in drug discovery ?

Suggestions on how to migrate LIMS data from a legacy LIMS to a new LIMS

Is there a list of LIMS, ERP or SDMS solution that are based (or at least able to manage) chemical structures?

How do you use laboratory informatics tools / processes to support lean concepts in your lab?
(14 comments posted in LIMSforum)

How do you use laboratory informatics tools / processes to support lean concepts in your lab?
(7 comments posted in LIMS/LI)

Are LIMS and LIS the same thing?

When defining your lab’s informatics requirements, what are the key points to cover?

NGS LIMS – Do you have any recommendations for NGS LIMS?

Is there much difference in chemstation and empower

The DiY LIMS… Does this Dilbert cartoon remind you of anything?

Web Browser based apps have been the trend for about 10 years now. What is next?

Switching from a paper lab notebook – help and suggestions needed.

Which direction will we see with lab informatics apps?

Do it Yourself (DiY) LIMS. Is it right for your lab? Are you a software developer or a lab?

LIMS final reports and the need to edit those reports

Anyone have any experience with good document management software to help with CAP/CLIA inspections? I’ve heard good things about Genial (Geneial) – anyone else?

I had some questions regarding LIMS pricing 1) Typically are user licenses & server renewed on an annual basis? I read through the 2012 buying guide and I wasn’t clear on this. Thanks!

Use of digital signatures on final reports

hi all , is it necessary to have our LIMS software validated by the FDA to sold and install it in the US ?

Is there a reason for a lack of innovation in the LIMS industry?

Are serial port based instruments still common in the lab?

If you had to pick one mobile device, which would you choose?

Will these tech trends have a positive affect on your lab?