The medical laboratory professional has been critical to healthcare for over 6,000 years!

« Back to Previous Page

The World Health Organization (WHO) focuses on prioritizing 58 different diagnostic tests across the spectrum of health and disease. Medical...

Please to read the entire article.

Marked as spam
Posted by Brendon Confer (Discussions: 1, Comments: 1)
Replied on May 30, 2018 12:00 am
Private comment
Beautiful to know
Marked as spam
Posted by Osinaya Oluwatobi, BMLS (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on May 30, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
I’d love to see a comparative study of our profession between USA and Canada. The biggest hurdle we face in USA is apathy and lack of advocates within our profession and I think it stems from the fact that we are under the wing of Pathologists. Thanks for letting the world know about about the work we do.
Marked as spam
Posted by Ivette A. (Discussions: 0, Comments: 5)
Replied on May 31, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Med Techs are invaluable. This field needs an across the board double in hourly wages.
Marked as spam
Posted by Beth Tapley (Discussions: 0, Comments: 2)
Private comment
It’s long overdue. Thank you 36 years as CLS and I have a long ways to go.
Marked as spam
Posted by Elsa Ray (Discussions: 0, Comments: 2)
Private comment
Yes, it's time of being recognized, in the quiet little corner of the Lab, were we spent long hours testing, given invaluable results to save life. Yes , I agree salary must double, by all means.
Marked as spam
Posted by carmen lemke (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on June 1, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
I agree, wages should increase to retain and attract new med techs. However, most systems see the lab as a production center, thus a commodity! Why should executives increase wages if seen simply as a production facility? Labs must, in collaboration with suppliers like Abbott, elevate themselves and leverage the power they have with data.
Marked as spam
Posted by Brendon Confer (Discussions: 1, Comments: 1)
Private comment
I’m proud of our profession and the dedicated staff who strives for perfection every day.
Marked as spam
Posted by Susan Corley (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Private comment
Current paradigm is that automation will fix everything with an unparalleled synergy that the need for the human element will wane ( I have seen this mentality through two automations). Fact is, the human element is what brings a face to the amoral number. Human beings are what temper technology with a pathos that machines will never dream of or vitally experience. Data management is the wave that is permeating the industry for a qualitative approach to patient care. Laboratories need to harness this with powerful enthusiasm. As pharmacy is a separate school of thought from medicine in business, so the laboratory needs to exert itself with a manifest destiny of assertiveness relative to data management. Confer is right in the sense of collaboration with suppliers like Abbott.
Marked as spam
Posted by Donald Bishop (Discussions: 0, Comments: 4)
Private comment
We are sending your specimen to "the lab." We have you results back from "the lab." It always surprises me how many patients think of "the lab" as an inanimate object. We really are a group of educated, caring professionals working for their health and medical treatment.
Marked as spam
Posted by Dawn Perlotto (Discussions: 0, Comments: 2)
Replied on June 3, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
But WE need to find a way to toot our own horn to the rest of the medical field and educate the public so that recognition can finally given to all the hard working professions that give so much.
Marked as spam
Posted by Mary Gimenez (Discussions: 0, Comments: 7)
Private comment
Yes, salary should be double for what we do to saves patients life.
Marked as spam
Posted by jinal patel (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Private comment
Talking about overworked and underpaid. No wonder kids these days don't want to get into the field anymore
Marked as spam
Posted by Catherine T. Nguyen (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on June 4, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
It's great deal but WHO must look into the salary scale.
Marked as spam
Posted by Kamayou Etienne (Discussions: 0, Comments: 13)
Private comment
There are so many factors that we have to account for patients samples. I pride myself in using my ability contribute in any way. Looking for opportunity by the way.
Marked as spam
Posted by Valery Taustsiakou (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Private comment
Salary increase is important and should be considered to encourage Medical Laboratory staff. That's the same thing we have been camouring for in Nigeria. Currently, its 1:4 from what Drs take home.
Marked as spam
Posted by Chinedu Eze (Discussions: 0, Comments: 4)
Replied on June 5, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Great article. 70 percent of the diagnosis are based on lab results. People should realize the importance of laboratory profession.
Marked as spam
Posted by Drona Pandeya, M.S., MLS(ASCP) (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Private comment
I participated in several high school career fairs informing the students that there are more than just nurses and doctors that work in hospitals. The laboratory is also a great option. We are the heroes behind the scene. Training programs in CA are extremely hard to get into, I’ve been trying for the last two years so am aware of the struggle. But once you’re in...you’re in!! You just have to stay encouraged!!
Marked as spam
Posted by Kimico F. (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Private comment
I am encouraged tremendously by this development. Barack Obama highlighted the profession in 2016 and now WHO. We hope this is the pivatol point for the profession. The next big step is for someone who is an industry leader to run for office especially in the US.
Marked as spam
Posted by Raymond Walters (Discussions: 0, Comments: 3)
Private comment
I so agree
Marked as spam
Posted by Mary Gimenez (Discussions: 0, Comments: 7)
Replied on June 9, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Fantastic!
Marked as spam
Posted by Chinenyeike Daniel (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on June 9, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Proud to be one for over 20 years!
Marked as spam
Posted by Patti Brink (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on June 10, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Medical Laboratory Assistant with Siksika Health And Wellness Services. 9.5 years now. Currently working on getting into Combined Laboratory and X-ray Program At NAIT.
Marked as spam
Posted by Jocelyn Duck Chief (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on June 13, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
I love my profession, it's so versatile. My mom was a medical technologist and I've been one for 25 years
Marked as spam
Posted by Mary Ann Riter (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on June 16, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
I love my profession even after 32 years i still enjoy my work
Marked as spam
Posted by Joyce Hangandu-Sommar (Discussions: 1, Comments: 23)
Replied on June 18, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
This was an awesome read, it brought so much joy to my heart. It is about time that the world knows who we are and how we contribute in a major way to diagnosis and treatment.
Marked as spam
Posted by Ghenet Gebreyesus (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on June 19, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Good read. Thank you for sharing this post.
Marked as spam
Posted by Adebayo Olaoluwa Adisa (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on June 20, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
True
Marked as spam
Posted by abdul hassan mohamed (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on June 21, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Graduated and licensed in 1984 when we were thought to be a dying breed. Thank you for sharing this article. It was an affirmation and testament to the fact that in this day and age where computers seem to take over, this profession still requires the human element which most (patients) don't even realize that we exist! An unsung hero or a wingman(wingwoman), nevertheless, it's always gratifying to know that we make a difference in people's lives everyday. It also gives me an opportunity to pray for each patient that comes across my eyes..."Let the whisper of their names be a prayer for their healing and most of all, for their salvation."
Marked as spam
Posted by Michele Vito Inigo (Discussions: 0, Comments: 2)
Replied on June 25, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Proudly Med. lab. scientist
Marked as spam
Posted by sylvia ijeoma (Discussions: 1, Comments: 3)
Replied on June 26, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Wonderful.....
Marked as spam
Posted by Abukari Yussif (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on June 27, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Apt. We are like defenders in the Health sector.
Marked as spam
Posted by Nonye Umahi (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on June 27, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Still a proud Lab tech and lab scientist but I still want more...
Marked as spam
Posted by soko iketau (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on June 28, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
You can not treat what you can not see...
Marked as spam
Posted by Jennifer Bailey (Discussions: 0, Comments: 2)
Private comment
Great article. I have been a med tech since 1990 and still going strong
Marked as spam
Posted by Cassandra Hinton (Discussions: 0, Comments: 2)
Private comment
We know the job we do is beyond relevant. We just have to convince employers and Pathologists that keep us in the dark that what we do, does make a difference. Medical technologists should regulate their own profession. ASCP should be strictly for Pathologists and Medical Technologists should be able to have their own equivalent: American Society of Clinical Laboratory Scientists (ASCLS).
We need committed leaders to make that a reality to change the way the industry views our profession and the way we view ourselves.
Marked as spam
Posted by Ivette A. (Discussions: 0, Comments: 5)
Replied on June 30, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Very true and we need to work towards giving these facts to more people. In my teaching always emphasised to young minds about labs producing evidence of disease and ruling out.
Marked as spam
Posted by Rukenya Ngare (Discussions: 0, Comments: 2)
Replied on July 1, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Great article to illustrate our roles as Medical Laboratory Technologists/Scientists. We need to create more exposure and step out of the darkness...
Marked as spam
Posted by Chris Hikuam (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on July 1, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
We play a vital role in bringing the picture of a patient’s into clearer focus. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to bring nursing and physicians into our world to help better promote the profession and the role we play in healthcare.
Marked as spam
Posted by Robin Rollins (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on July 2, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Very Nice !
Marked as spam
Posted by Klary E Niezen-Koning (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on July 3, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
that is beautiful
Marked as spam
Posted by ezondu emeka (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on July 5, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
All over the world we know that we are all exploited by the owners of the hospital or labs we are the bread and butter of any income generating hospital or centers but the respect and compensation they are giving to us is below any other paramedical professions.Its high time to upgrade our profession in terms of how they treat us and pay us.
Marked as spam
Posted by arnold agoy (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on July 6, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Check out some of my similar articles on the VALUE of the #MedicalLaboratory! #WeSaveLivesEveryday
https://www.elsevier.com/connect/the-hidden-profession-that-saves-lives
Marked as spam
Posted by Dr. Rodney E Rohde, SV, SM, MB (ASCP), FACSc, Global Fellow (Discussions: 1, Comments: 4)
Replied on July 7, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Marked as spam
Posted by Dr. Rodney E Rohde, SV, SM, MB (ASCP), FACSc, Global Fellow (Discussions: 1, Comments: 4)
Private comment
Marked as spam
Private comment
Marked as spam
Private comment
Mr. Arnold Agoy, my sentiments exactly!! We ARE the foundation of all medical professions but we’re paid pennies. We are required to have education above and beyond that of many others but we are not respected as a highly educated group of professionals. If the MLS’s and others boycotted, the other medical professionals couldn’t really do their jobs. Obviously this is not something that has entered the minds of those who so graciously disregard our expertise and our contributions.
Marked as spam
Posted by Dorcas Burnside (Discussions: 0, Comments: 3)
Replied on July 11, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Yes we are valuable but we are not compensated as such.
Marked as spam
Posted by Brittany Stanley (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on July 14, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Personally, I absolutely loved working in the lab. However, we were overworked and underpaid. We were not only testing for infectious diseases, but we were responsible for troubleshooting when equipment went down, multitasking on a whole other level, and were responsible for things that weren’t necessary our jobs, but for some of us we did it anyway. I learned A LOT because we were extremely busy, so I had to teach myself due to the lack of employees. However, I gained so much knowledge & experience very quickly! Let’s just say us “lab rats” are pretty quick on our feet! 🔬🐀❤️
Marked as spam
Posted by Crystal Jade Bustamante (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on July 20, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Yes I am proud to be a medical laboratory scientist
Marked as spam
Posted by Osarieme Donbraye-Emmanuel (Discussions: 0, Comments: 2)
Replied on July 22, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Proudly Medical Laboratory Scientist! I agree with others that Medical Lab Scientists are overworked and under paid. Even the Medical Pathologist that qualifies yesterday want to head of be the Head of Department of Medical Laboratory where Medical Laboratory Scientist with PhD has being working for more than 10 years before the pathologist entered into 100level MBBS. It is very unfair.
Marked as spam
Posted by Theo Faruna (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on July 22, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
In India, the scenario is more worst now.. Health department is not recognising M.Sc / Ph.D who were there in the system since ever. A
Marked as spam
Posted by Dr. Rishabh Rajput (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on July 23, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Medical Laboratory Scientists are the backbone of modern medicine and medical researches. We should not relent in projecting our noble profession. Let us remain focused in our profession. Note scientist rule the World. One day , the world will announce us for good.
Marked as spam
Posted by Charles Chikodi Ekeke MSc, MHPM,MLS, AMLSCN,BSc,HSE,DMI. (Discussions: 0, Comments: 3)
Replied on July 25, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Proud to be one
Marked as spam
Posted by akinbola bunmi (Discussions: 0, Comments: 2)
Private comment
Proud to be one
Marked as spam
Posted by akinbola bunmi (Discussions: 0, Comments: 2)
Private comment
I definitely enjoyed my time in the lab! Do I miss it? Absolutely not! The field underpays in my opinion, especially in contrast to the amount and quality of work demanded! If lab scientists are so valuable pay them as such!
Marked as spam
Posted by Kingsley Bawuah (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Private comment
Proud to be medical laboratory scientist.
Marked as spam
Posted by Tasawwar Iqbal (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on July 28, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
I really enjoy when I am in my lab.I love my job. I wish each person to have an amazing job like mine. It has dinamic and futuristic charecters.
Marked as spam
Posted by Pınar Eker (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on July 28, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
To all my colleques and friends who are part of this “little know profession”, and save life’s everyday through their knowledge and understanding of laboratory medicine.
Marked as spam
Posted by Barb Pumphrey (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on July 29, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
medical laboratory scientists are not really appreciated in most part of Africa including Nigeria
Marked as spam
Posted by otegbade david (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on July 29, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
The medical laboratory fields of labor examines are shared into practical aims and scientific researches. There are different pathways of aims and researches of these assays in problems of Health care.
Marked as spam
Posted by Michail R. Ponizovskiy (Discussions: 0, Comments: 2)
Replied on July 31, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
✅ proud to be one of them
Marked as spam
Posted by Theo Rico Jr. Castillo Sagisi (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on August 1, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Proud to be an certified MLT and MT,
Marked as spam
Posted by Valerie Sinkam (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on August 4, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Medical Lab Scientist in the making!!
Marked as spam
Posted by Melanie M. (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on August 4, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
I am proud to be Medical laboratory scientist, been in the field for 32 years, worked at Clinical Chemistry 13 years, 19 years at Clinical genetics and now working at Bakt serologi depaartment.
Marked as spam
Posted by Joyce Hangandu-Sommar (Discussions: 1, Comments: 23)
Replied on August 6, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
I love the recognition of the profession that is always behind the scènes. We don't see the patiënt and they don't see us but we are there always doing our best to provide the results their doctors need to help them. Love my job ❤
Marked as spam
Posted by Davy Adriaens (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on August 6, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
The Medical Laboratory Science is involved in both Preventive, Promotive, Diagnostic and Curative medicine hence referred as the Oracle of Modern Medicine and I diametrically agree!
Marked as spam
Posted by Chris Elemuwa (Discussions: 0, Comments: 2)
Replied on August 10, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
“Without laboratory testing, doctors would be unable to provide accurate diagnoses...”
-Such an important field that is so often overlooked
Marked as spam
Posted by Stacey DeBlasio (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on August 10, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
We are a noble profession behind the scene that is invisible.
Marked as spam
Posted by Miriam Lugalishi (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on August 12, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Nosotros proporcionamos datos objetivos , cuantificables y con control de calidad, para el manejo adecuado de enfermo o para la prevención o fomento de la salud. Nosotros le damos el respaldo científico a la medicina
Marked as spam
Posted by Luis Zaror (Discussions: 0, Comments: 1)
Replied on August 12, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
Marked as spam
Replied on August 13, 2018 8:00 pm
Private comment
As a consultant haematologist once said at a seminar " the medical scientists make us look great". I will never forget that appreciation. That was some 30 years ago too.
Marked as spam
Posted by Nic Acquarola (Discussions: 0, Comments: 4)
Replied on August 21, 2018 8:00 pm
« Back to Previous Page