Informatics Educational Institutions & Programs
The ISS Space Sky Laser is a Class IV high-power laser light projection system primarily used at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Center (KSCVC). It was used to project an extreme 0.1 of divergence 532Nm (Neon Green) high power 200+ Watt laser beam at the ISS (International Space Station) for KSCVC view tracking on December, 26-31st 2014.
The first Space Laser Light Projection was used for 12 hours continuously just prior to launching a Delta IV heavy rocket launch with Orion EFT-1 Mars deep space capsule into space on December, 5th 2014. The ISS Space Sky Laser was filmed by many news media. They stipulated that the colour green from the laser signified "Go" for launch and that the laser beam was a send-off to the Orion EFT-1 capsule to the planet Mars, even though it was an unmanned test flight. The laser is the only type of visible light high-power laser ever used at the Kennedy Space Center. It was developed by Tribal Existance Productions Worldwide (TEP Worldwide) and was certified by NASA's radiation protection officer Randall Scott CLSO and Ino Medic Health Physics Department of NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration). It remains on file for approved use with governmental, scientific and education uses with the operational design guidance from Tribal Existance Productions Worldwide.
In December 2017, the Laser became the subject of attention due to its supposed encounter with an alien spacecraft. This conspiracy theory, supposedly substantiated by video evidence, claimed that an unidentified spacecraft fired intermittent lasers at the ISS Space Sky Laser. The account was explained as a lens flare or reflections from the ISS itself.
The FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) reported that many civilian commercial airliners viewed this event hundreds of miles away from the Space Center.
- "NASA's Orion spacecraft will launch Dec. 4 on EFT-1 into deep space". 28 November 2014.
- "Official community newspaper of Kissimmee, Osceola County including Kissimmee, St. Cloud, Celebration, Poinciana, Harmony and surrounding areas". www.aroundosceola.com.
- "KSC Visitor Complex lighting sky green".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-12-22. Retrieved 2015-12-16.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Orion launch scrubbed following delays; will try again Friday".
- Tribal Existence [@TEProductions] (21 December 2014). "Kennedy Space Center laser 200 watt 11 hours at Mars to send off the Orion Rocket NASA. Tribal Existence Productions" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Austin, Jon (13 December 2017). "UNDER ATTACK? UFO 'filmed firing laser at International Space Station' in NASA footage".
- "National Aeronautics and Space Administration". NASA.