Informatics Educational Institutions & Programs
Professor Sir Roy Sambles
|Alma mater||Imperial College London|
|Known for||liquid crystal physics, surface plasmons, microwave photonics, Metamaterials, Natural Photonics|
|Awards||Young Medal and Prize (2002) |
Faraday Medal and Prize (2012)
|Institutions||University of Exeter|
Sambles, originally from Callington in Cornwall, studied physics at Imperial College, London, gaining his BSc and PhD degrees there, and has since published over 400 papers in international journals. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in May 2002.
Sambles is currently Professor of Experimental Physics at the University of Exeter, he has a long and distinguished career researching the interaction of light with matter. His group at Exeter have studied a wide range of systems including: liquid crystal devices; iridescent butterfly wings; surface plasmons and microwave photonics. These studies have applications in liquid crystal displays for televisions and computer displays, highly sensitive detection of materials (e.g. for medical diagnosis), and optical and microwave communication.
In 2008, he was appointed to the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council.
He had 3 children with his wife Sandy Sambles, they had Ivan Sambles, Nena Sambles (now Nena Yendall) and Gavin Sambles. They now have 4 grandchildren. Ivan and his wife had Libby and Anna Sambles, Nena and her husband had Mathew and Daniel yendall.
- 1998: (edited with Steve Elston) The Optics of Thermotropic Liquid Crystals. London: Taylor & Francis ISBN 978-0-7484-0629-6
- 1998 - the George William Gray medal of the British Liquid Crystal Society.
- 2002 - Elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society.
- 2003 - Young Medal and Prize, for distinguished research in the field of optics presented by the Institute of Physics.
- 2012 - Faraday Medal and Prize, "For his pioneering research in experimental condensed matter physics."
- "New president-elect is announced". The Institute of Physics.
- "SCIENCE FUNDING HONOUR". This is Cornwall. Cornwall & Devon Media Ltd, City Wharf, Malpas Road, Truro, Cornwall TR1 1QH. Retrieved 7 May 2008.
- "Lists of Royal Society Fellows 1660-2007". London: The Royal Society. Archived from the original on 24 March 2010. Retrieved 23 August 2010.
- "No. 63135". The London Gazette (Supplement). 10 October 2020. p. B2.
- Google scholar List of papers by JR Sambles
- The homepage of Professor Roy Sambles' Research Group
- Staff Biography at the University of Exeter