Informatics Educational Institutions & Programs
|Industry||3-D software, laboratory informatics|
|Headquarters||10 rue Marcel Dassault, CS 40501, Vélizy-Villacoublay Cedex, France|
|Number of locations||184|
Dassault Systèmes was formed in 1981, spun out from Dassault Aviation and its 3D design software CATIA. The company used a step-by-step approach to get a start in other industries beyond aeronautical design, including automotive design, consumer goods, machinery, and shipbuilding. IBM itself became a customer in the mid 1980s and deployed CATIA in its engineering and manufacturing plants.
By the early 2000s, Dassault's CAD/CAM software was replaced by product lifecycle management (PLM) software. New brand names were added to address the full PLM spectrum: DELMIA to support manufacturing, ENOVIA to support internal and external collaboration, SIMULIA to support analysis and simulation, SolidWorks for 3D modeling, and 3DVIA for 3D visualization. A few years later, recognizing the advantages of the Internet, Dassault introduced a Web version of its PLM with its Version 6 platform.
On January 30, 2014, news broke that Dassault Systèmes had agreed to purchase Accelrys, Inc. for almost $750 million, valued at $12.50 per share in cash, pending approval by Accelrys shareholders. On April 29, Dassault announced it had completed the acquisition "through a merger." The former Accelrys products would then be incorporated into a new Dassault product branding called BIOVIA. Dassault's CEO said of BIOVIA, "The integration of Accelrys’ powerful applications with our 3DEXPERIENCE platform will create a new collaborative environment for advanced biological, chemical and materials experience development." In May 2014, Research firm Gartner, Inc. called BIOVIA "the most significant life-sciences-focused investment that a major product life cycle management (PLM) software vendor has ever made."
Technology and products
BIOVIA product line
BIOVIA Compose (formerly Accelrys LES and BIOVIA LES), a laboratory execution system-like solution "that allows you to quickly build stepwise procedures and methods in a graphical user interface, based on industry standards so that methods can be utilized throughout the product scale-up and commercialization process." A complementary application, BIOVIA Capture, appears to be an add-on "for the efficient, standardized and paperless execution of recipes and methods authored in BIOVIA Compose."
BIOVIA Lab Management (formerly Accelrys LIMS and BIOVIA LIMS), a cloud- and platform-based LIMS-like solution "that allows organizations to work in an agile cost effective manner while digitalizing and streamline lab workflows for regulated and non-regulated spaces." The platform includes Samples for sample data management, Task Plan for task assignment and managemement, Equipment for instrument management, and Study Design & Tracking for study and experiment management.
BIOVIA Notebook (formerly Contur ELN/iLabber), an electronic laboratory notebook (ELN) "for organizations focused on data capture, intellectual property protection, information sharing, process documentation and overall lower total cost of ownership." The software can be deployed locally or ran as a cloud-based SaaS version.
BIOVIA Workbook (formerly Accelrys ELN and Symyx Notebook), an ELN "for documenting and managing the flow of information, tasks and materials among scientists, software and instruments within and between labs, particularly in regulated environments such as life sciences and consumer packaged goods industries." The software can be deployed locally or ran as a cloud-based SaaS version.
Dassault has a great number of other informatics solutions in the BIOVIA product line, more than can be listed here. For example, the BIOVIA CISPro and Registration materials management solutions help labs manage "all the chemicals and materials in each facility on at the container level, keep track of where they are in real-time, and monitor usage, and register and manage "unique entiteies across an organization," respectively.
The above focus on their laboratory informatics solutions. For data science, molecular modeling, and other research and development informatics tools, see their BIOVIA product page.
Demonstration videos and other media
The following videos exist for the BIOVIA product line:
- BIOVIA page at Dassault Systèmes
- BIOVIA Compose and Capture brochures
- BIOVIA Lab Management brochure
- BIOVIA Notebook brochure
- BIOVIA Workbook brochure
- Bernard, Francis; Menezes, Deelip (ed.) (27 November 2010). "The Dassault Systemes Success Story - Part 1". Deelip.com. https://deelip.com/the-dassault-systemes-success-story-part-1. Retrieved 12 September 2020.
- Bernard, Francis; Menezes, Deelip (ed.) (27 November 2010). "The Dassault Systemes Success Story - Part 2". Deelip.com. https://deelip.com/the-dassault-systemes-success-story-part-2. Retrieved 12 September 2020.
- Khrennikov, Ilya; Rahn, Cornelius (30 January 2014). "Dassault Systemes Offers $750 Million to Acquire Accelrys". Bloomberg. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-01-30/dassault-systemes-to-bid-750-million-to-acquire-accelrys. Retrieved 12 September 2020.
- "Dassault Systèmes Successfully Completes Acquisition of Accelrys". Dassault Systèmes SA. 29 April 2014. https://www.3ds.com/press-releases/single/dassault-systemes-successfully-completes-acquisition-of-accelrys/. Retrieved 12 September 2020.
- The Engineer (21 May 2014). "Dassault Systèmes Introduces BIOVIA; Combines Accelrys and BioPLM, Powered by the 3DEXPERIENCE Platform". Engineering.com. https://www.engineering.com/DesignSoftware/DesignSoftwareArticles/ArticleID/7625/Dassault-Systemes-Introduces-BIOVIA-Combines-Accelrys-and-BioPLM-Powered-by-the-3DEXPERIENCE-Platform.aspx. Retrieved 12 September 2020.
- Shanler, Michael; Halpern, Marc (27 May 2014). "Dassault Systemes' Biovia Is Poised to Capture PLM Life Science Market - G00264777". Gartner, Inc. https://www.gartner.com/en/documents/2750417. Retrieved 12 September 2020.
- "Accelrys Lab Execution System". Accelrys, Inc. Archived from the original on 30 March 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130330211958/http://accelrys.com/products/process-management-and-compliance/lab-execution-system/index.html. Retrieved 04 September 2014.
- "BIOVIA LES". Dassault Systèmes SA. Archived from the original on 15 June 2019. https://web.archive.org/web/20190615085820/http://www.3dsbiovia.com/products/unified-lab-management/biovia-les/index.html. Retrieved 12 September 2020.
- "Procedure Execution". Dassault Systèmes SA. https://www.3ds.com/products-services/biovia/products/laboratory-informatics/procedure-execution/. Retrieved 12 September 2020.
- "Accelrys LIMS". Accelrys, Inc. Archived from the original on 01 July 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130701051155/http://accelrys.com/products/process-management-and-compliance/accelrys-lims/. Retrieved 04 September 2014.
- "BIOVIA LIMS". Dassault Systèmes SA. Archived from the original on 15 June 2019. https://web.archive.org/web/20190615104153/http://3dsbiovia.com/products/unified-lab-management/biovia-lims/index.html. Retrieved 12 September 2020.
- "Lab Management". Dassault Systèmes SA. https://www.3ds.com/products-services/biovia/products/laboratory-informatics/lab-management/. Retrieved 12 September 2020.
- "Contur ELN for the Paperless Lab". Accelrys, Inc. Archived from the original on 06 august 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130806070759/http://accelrys.com/products/eln/contur/. Retrieved 01 October 2015.
- "iLabber ELN". Contur Software. Archived from the original on 14 April 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/20140414234200/http://www.contur.com/tour/. Retrieved 01 October 2015.
- "BIOVIA Notebook". Dassault Systèmes SA. https://www.3ds.com/products-services/biovia/products/laboratory-informatics/electronic-lab-notebooks/biovia-notebook/. Retrieved 12 September 2020.
- "Accelrys Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN)". Accelrys, Inc. Archived from the original on 29 March 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20130329054003/http://accelrys.com/micro/notebook. Retrieved 04 September 2014.
- "Accelrys Electronic Lab Notebook". Accelrys, Inc.. Archived from the original on 23 October 2013. https://web.archive.org/web/20131023114952/http://accelrys.com/products/process-management-and-compliance/electronic-lab-notebook.html. Retrieved 01 October 2015.
- "Biovioa Workbook". Dassault Systèmes SA. https://www.3ds.com/products-services/biovia/products/laboratory-informatics/electronic-lab-notebooks/biovia-workbook/. Retrieved 12 September 2020.
- "Materials Management". Dassault Systèmes SA. https://www.3ds.com/products-services/biovia/products/laboratory-informatics/materials-management/. Retrieved 12 September 2020.
- "BIOVIA Compose" (PDF). Dassault Systèmes SA. March 2019. https://www.3ds.com/fileadmin/PRODUCTS-SERVICES/BIOVIA/PDF/biovia-compose-datasheet.pdf. Retrieved 12 September 2020.
- "BIOVIA Capture" (PDF). Dassault Systèmes SA. March 2019. https://www.3ds.com/fileadmin/PRODUCTS-SERVICES/BIOVIA/PDF/biovia-capture-dassault%20systemes.pdf. Retrieved 21 September 2020.
- "BIOVIA Samples". Dassault Systèmes SA. https://www.3ds.com/products-services/biovia/products/laboratory-informatics/lab-management/biovia-samples/. Retrieved 12 September 2020.
- "BIOVIA Task Plan". Dassault Systèmes SA. https://www.3ds.com/products-services/biovia/products/laboratory-informatics/lab-management/biovia-task-plan/. Retrieved 12 September 2020.
- "BIOVIA Equipment". Dassault Systèmes SA. https://www.3ds.com/products-services/biovia/products/laboratory-informatics/lab-management/biovia-equipment/. Retrieved 12 September 2020.
- "BIOVIA Study Design & Tracking". Dassault Systèmes SA. https://www.3ds.com/products-services/biovia/products/laboratory-informatics/lab-management/biovia-study-design-tracking/. Retrieved 12 September 2020.
- "BIOVIA Notebook" (PDF). Dassault Systèmes SA. July 2015. https://www.3ds.com/fileadmin/PRODUCTS-SERVICES/BIOVIA/PDF/biovia-notebook-dassault-systemes.pdf. Retrieved 06 January 2019.
- "BIOVIA Workbook" (PDF). Dassault Systèmes SA. March 2019. https://www.3ds.com/fileadmin/PRODUCTS-SERVICES/BIOVIA/PDF/biovia-workbook.pdf. Retrieved 21 September 2020.