Informatics Educational Institutions & Programs
|Founded||July 24, 2000|
|Founder(s)||John H. Jones|
2400 Lake Park Drive|
Smyrna, Georgia 30080, U.S.
|Revenue||~ $10 million|
LabLynx, Inc. is a privately owned, funded, and managed American corporation that develops, supports, and markets laboratory information management system (LIMS) solutions. Its most well-known product is webLIMS, a browser-based LIMS offered as a local installation or under a scalable, hosted "software as a service" (SaaS) delivery model. The company’s primary clients include laboratories in the agriculture, clinical, environmental, forensics, health care, and manufacturing industries, including government agencies. The company is known for introducing one of the first browser-based LIMS products in 1997 and being a long-term player in the laboratory informatics market.
Before LabLynx was a company, it was a LIMS product offered by Atlanta Systems Consultants, Inc. (ASC). Formed in 1992, ASC's LabLynx division later began work on a laboratory information management system designed specifically for a web browser. ASC demonstrated its new Internet Explorer-based LabLynx LIMS at in 1997, among the first browser-based LIMS to appear at the time. The company again showcased LabLynx at Pittcon in 1998 and soon after picked up a major LIMS-based contract with the U.S. Customs Service.
By July 2000, the LabLynx division of ASC separated to become its own incorporated entity. And while ASC eventually ceased to exist in 2005, LabLynx, Inc. went on to diversify its offerings. LabLynx’s browser-based LIMS previously demonstrated at Pittcon in 1997 expanded to become ELab, which in 2001 took on an application service provider (ASP) model of distribution. In 2004 LabLynx released a browser-based tool called openLIMS, which gave consultants and end-users the ability "to build custom LIMS solutions that are geared to the exact operational needs of many different laboratories."
On June 19, 2006, LabLynx established the Laboratory Informatics Institute, an open membership group with the purpose of advancing the field of laboratory informatics and shaping the standards associated with it. LabLynx made further moves to better its LIMS offerings in August 2008, renewing and expanding its contract with Nagarro, Inc., a U.S.-based technology consulting firm. The collaboration allowed LabLynx to upgrade its existing LIMS software to .NET architecture and expand its initiative to create and market a SaaS-based LIMS. Less than a year after the announced renewed partnership, LabLynx revealed its redeveloped webLIMS product to the public, featuring ELab in a SaaS model and additional integration of developer tools to allow users to create and modify modules for the LIMS. This move to a cloud-based SaaS model brought renewed interest in the company’s LIMS, with clients like the Georgia Department of Agriculture and Cypress Bioscience taking on the new LIMS.
In 2011, LabLynx was involved in an initiative to standardize and structure the transmission of laboratory data that first originates in a LIMS or LIS and then moves to a person's or population of people's electronic health records. This laboratory results interface (LRI) pilot began in August 2011 and included collaborations with the supported open source project mdDigest and the U.S. Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC).
In February 2015, LabLynx announced the introduction of HealthCloudPOL, a cloud-based laboratory information system (LIS) for the physician office laboratory (POL), making the basic starter package free to users. That product line soon after changed names, becoming sciCloud.net, though as of January 2018 that product line had not fully launched.
In the summer of 2019, LabLynx released its CannaQA LIMS software for the cannabis testing industry.
Since transitioning from Atlanta Systems Consultants, Inc. to LabLynx, Inc. in 2000, LabLynx has become increasingly active in the laboratory informatics community. Projects that LabLynx has started or been involved in within the community include:
- the Laboratory Informatics Institute, an open trade association with the mission of educating, standardizing, and promoting the laboratory informatics industry
- LIMSfinder, an online interactive magazine released by the Laboratory Informatics Institute that aims to be "the best resource for information technology in the laboratory"
- LIMSbook, a LIMS buyer’s guide released by the Laboratory Informatics Institute
- LIMSforum, a LinkedIn discussion group created to facilitate the exchange of ideas and technical information across the fields of laboratory, science, and health informatics; this later became a stand-alone community web portal.
- LIMSuniversity, an open-access learning resource released by the Laboratory Informatics Institute, targeted towards laboratories and the LIMS community
- LIMSwiki, a Creative Commons-licensed wiki with the goal of bringing related informatics communities together to maintain a repository of information about the industry
Technology and products
ELab is a hosted software as a service (SaaS) laboratory information management system (LIMS) + laboratory information system (LIS). Introduced in 2009 as webLIMS, ELab "offers complete functionality for every type of lab - at a price that's affordable." The software can be hosted in the cloud or self-hosted.
CannaQA LIMS is cloud-based LIMS software designed specifically for the cannabis testing industry, with certificates of analysis, track-and-trace support, "and other aspects of data management required for successful, cost-effective operation in today's highly competitive and fast-growing cannabis testing market."
LabVia is a middleware hardware/software-based hub that "intelligently manages multiple data communications between all kinds of devices, services, systems or other sources."
Source for pricing information is directly from LabLynx. Additional pricing information can be gleaned from GSA Avantage. As prices may change at any time, always contact the vendor directly to obtain a price list or quote.
Source for pricing information is directly from LabLynx. The software can be licensed as an annual subscription or purchased.
- Up to two concurrent users at $6,000 per year ($3,000 annual price per user)
- Three to nine concurrent users at $6,750 - $20,250 ($2,250 annual price per user)
- 10 to 14 concurrent users at $19,500 - $27,300 ($1,950 annual price per user)
- 15 to 50+ concurrent users at $27,000 - $90,000+ ($1,800 annual price per user)
- Base five concurrent users at $30,000 one-time (15% of current user license list price for annual maintenance and warranty)
- For each additional concurrent user add $5,000 (15% of current user license list price for annual maintenance and warranty)
Other fees include $175/hour for project management, acceptance testing, training, etc. Optional items such as client-facing web-portal, state-required test packages, etc. are available. See the CannaQA website for the various options and their prices.
Demonstration videos and other media
The following demonstration videos are available for ELab:
- LabLynx Solutions
- LabLynx: A Guide to the Company
- LIMS: The Laboratory ERP
- LIMS and ISO 17025
- The LabLynx ELab LIMS for Water/Wastewater and Environmental Labs
- The LabLynx ELab LIMS for Medical Examiners
- The LabLynx ELab LIMS for Pharmaceutical Labs
- ELab - Key Functions and Topics
- ELab: FOG Functionality
- ELab: Sample Login and Receiving in ELab
- ELab: Sample Receiving – In Depth
- ELab: Local and Remote Accessioning
- ELab: Data Entry - Manual, Bulk, Importing, and Instrument Interfaces
- ELab: External Interfaces, Queries, and Exporting Data
- ELab: Case Coordination
- ELab: Project Receiving
- ELab: Benchsheets
- ELab: Analysis Price Quoting and Invoicing
- ELab: Invoicing - Special Pricing, Editing and Tracking Invoices
- ELab: e-Signatures
- ELab: Password Management and Session Timeout
- ELab: Work Assignment and Tracking
- ELab: Inventory of Stocks, Standards, and Reagents
- ELab: Creating Storage Locations
- ELab: Instrument Calibration and Maintenance Management
- ELab: Creating and Editing Custom Reports
- ELab: Tracking and Versioning Reports
- ELab: Security Access Control
- ELab: Audit Trail
- ELab: Results Trending, QC Charting, and Limits Update
- ELab: Analyte and Test Group Management
- ELab: Creating and Managing Picklists
- ELab: System Setup
- ELab: Training Management and Certification Tracking
- ELab: Forensic Case Management
- "Business Entity – LabLynx, Inc.". Georgia Secretary of State. https://ecorp.sos.ga.gov/BusinessSearch/BusinessInformation?businessId=33586. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "LabLynx, Inc.". Owler, Inc. https://www.owler.com/iaApp/505814/lablynx-company-profile. Retrieved 26 January 2018.
- "Internet Software and Services – LabLynx, Inc.". Bloomberg Business. Bloomberg L.P.. http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=40482985. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "LIMSource: LIMS Vendor: LabLynx, Inc.". Archived from the original on 12 October 2007. http://web.archive.org/web/20071012123126/http://www.limsource.com/products/vatlanta.html. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- McGinnis, Mike and Norman Perkins (2003). "I. Wireless LANs". LIMS Workbook - A Practical Guide (3rd ed.). Q2marketsite, Inc. pp. I-16. ASIN B00161Y71K.
- "LABLynx On The Web". Archived from the original on 25 January 1998. http://web.archive.org/web/19990125100717/http://www.lablynx.com/. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "LABLynx on the Web" (PDF). Florida Department of Health. 8 March 2000. Archived from the original on 31 August 2004. https://web.archive.org/web/20040831183340/http://www.doh.state.fl.us/Irm/Apps/ihis/JADS/deh/Market%20Research/background/asc_website.pdf. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "Business Entity – Atlanta Systems Consultants, Inc.". Georgia Secretary of State. https://ecorp.sos.ga.gov/BusinessSearch/BusinessInformation?businessId=863106. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "LIMSource: Calendar: Pittcon ’98 Preview". Archived from the original on 29 May 1998. http://web.archive.org/web/19980529121944/http://www.limsource.com/calendar/pitt98.html. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "70 -- Laboratory Information Management Software (LIMS) (07/30/98)". FedBizOpps. http://www.fbodaily.com/cbd/archive/1998/07(July)/30-Jul-1998/70awd003.htm. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "LIMSource: LIMS Vendor: Atlanta Systems Consultants, Inc.". Archived from the original on 9 April 2001. http://web.archive.org/web/20010409200118/http://www.limsource.com/products/vatlanta.html. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "Build your own LIMS: News from LabLynx". LaboratoryTalk.com. Pro-Talk Ltd. 6 January 2004. Archived from the original on 19 April 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20120419143618/http://www.laboratorytalk.com/news/lbl/lbl100.html. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "Laboratory Informatics Institute Established". Laboratory Informatics Institute, Inc.. 17 July 2006. Archived from the original on 27 October 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20161027121044/http://www.limsfinder.com/BlogDetail.aspx?id=31049_0_3_0_C. Retrieved 26 January 2018.
- "LABLynx Extends Contract with Nagarro to Include Additional Product Development and SaaS Projects". Nagarro, Inc. 20 August 2008. Archived from the original on 16 July 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20120716033503/http://nagarro.com/NewsEvents/Press%20Releases/LABLynx%20Extends%20Contract%20with.aspx. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "LabLynx launches the new webLiMS.com, Laboratory SaaS Provider". Argyle News. 6 March 2009. Archived from the original on 04 March 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160304101223/http://scienceandresearch.argylenews.com/press_release.aspx?LabLynx-launches-the-new-webLiMScom-Laboratory-SaaS-Provider-542. Retrieved 26 January 2018.
- "Weblims – LabLynx". Scientific Computing World. 6 March 2009. https://www.scientific-computing.com/press-releases/weblims. Retrieved 26 January 2018.
- Mullin, Rick (24 May 2010). "LIMS In The Cloud". Chemical & Engineering News. American Chemical Society. http://cen.acs.org/articles/88/i21/LIMS-Cloud.html. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- Dubin, Cindy (29 July 2010). "SaaS Model Turns LIMS Paradigm On Its Head". Pharmaceutical Online. VertMarkets, Inc. http://www.pharmaceuticalonline.com/doc/saas-model-turns-lims-paradigm-on-its-0001. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "SaaS - Is a web hosted LIMS right for your laboratory?". LabLynx, Inc. 15 August 2009. Archived from the original on 09 May 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20120509064611/http://www.lablynx.com/ArticlesBlogs/tabid/326/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/13/SaaS--Is-a-web-hosted-LIMS-right-for-your-laboratory.aspx. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- Clarke, Ann (2011). Laboratory Results Interface (LRI) Pilots Guide (v0.9.4.093011 ed.). LabLynx/mdDigest. pp. 1–2. Archived from the original on 12 August 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/20140812142427/http://wiki.siframework.org/file/view/LRI_Pilots_Guide_Draft_v0_9_4_093011.docx.
- "PROJECT BRIEF: LabLynx/mdDigest Pilot". LabLynx/mdDigest. Archived from the original on 12 August 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20140812142106/http://wiki.siframework.org/LabLynx+Pilot+Brief. Retrieved 16 January 2018.
- LabLynx, Inc (February 2015). "Security, Reliability, and Regulatory Compliance: healthcloudpol.com". LinkedIn Corporation. https://www.linkedin.com/company/lablynx-inc./comments?topic=5979788253375520768&type=U&scope=209217&stype=C&a=NHFX. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "HealthCloudPOL — the FREE Cloud-based Physician Office LIS". LabLynx, Inc. Archived from the original on 14 March 2015. https://web.archive.org/web/20150314182554/www.healthcloudpol.com. Retrieved 26 January 2018.
- "Welcome to CannaQA". LabLynx Press. LabLynx, Inc. 11 July 2019. https://www.lablynxpress.com/index.php?title=Welcome_to_CannaQA. Retrieved 02 March 2020.
- "LIMSfinder Home". Laboratory Informatics Institute, Inc.. Archived from the original on 06 March 2017. https://web.archive.org/web/20170306214114/http://www.limsfinder.com/Home.aspx. Retrieved 26 January 2018.
- "The LIMS Book". Laboratory Informatics Institute, Inc.. Archived from the original on 04 January 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/20140104091826/http://limsbook.com/. Retrieved 26 January 2018.
- "Lablynx - latest company news". LaboratoryTalk.com. Pro-Talk Ltd. 25 August 2009. Archived from the original on 19 April 2012. https://web.archive.org/web/20120419143627/http://www.laboratorytalk.com/news/lbl/lbl103.html. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "LiMS forum - Laboratory Informatics Institute user's group for LIMS, Scientific & Health Informatics". LinkedIn.com. http://www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=2069898. Retrieved 22 October 2011.
- "LiMSForum". LabLynx, Inc. https://www.limsforum.com/. Retrieved 26 January 2018.
- "LiMSuniversity.com, the on-line, Open Access, Virtual Learning Center for Laboratory Informatics users and professionals". Laboratory Informatics Institute, Inc.. 4 April 2011. Archived from the original on 06 March 2017. https://web.archive.org/web/20170306214123/http://www.limsfinder.com/BlogDetail.aspx?id=35134_0_25_0_C. Retrieved 26 January 2018.
- "LIMSwiki mission". 4 June 2015. https://www.limswiki.org/index.php/LIMSwiki_mission. Retrieved 26 January 2018.
- "Laboratory Management System (LIMS/LIS/LES)". LabLynx, Inc. https://www.lablynx.com/weblims/. Retrieved 26 January 2018.
- "LIMS for Cannabis Testing ... It's all about delivering quality information". CannaQA. LabLynx, Inc. 18 July 2019. https://www.cannaqa.com/blog/lims-for-cannabis-testing/. Retrieved 02 March 2020.
- "LabVia". LabLynx, Inc. https://www.lablynx.com/eai/. Retrieved 26 January 2018.
- "LIMS for Cannabis Testing Laboratories". CannaQA. LabLynx, Inc. https://www.cannaqa.com/applications/cannaqa-lims/. Retrieved 02 March 2020.
- "Implementation". CannaQA. LabLynx, Inc. https://www.cannaqa.com/services/implementation/. Retrieved 02 March 2020.
- "Full Service Cloud Hosting & Security Solution". CannaQA. LabLynx, Inc. https://www.cannaqa.com/services/cloud/. Retrieved 02 March 2020.
- "A full line of maintenance and support services… all covered by a warranty guarantee". CannaQA. LabLynx, Inc. https://www.cannaqa.com/services/support-services/?rdp_we_resource=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lablynxpress.com%2Findex.php%3Ftitle%3DUnit_Price_List#Services. Retrieved 02 March 2020.