Informatics Educational Institutions & Programs
Bioinformatics Institute (A*STAR)
|Type||Research and post-graduate training institute|
The Bioinformatics Institute (BII) is a member of the Singapore government's A*STAR (the Agency for Science, Technology and Research) and operates as a computational biology research center, postgraduate training institute, and a national resource center in bioinformatics. It was originally founded in 2001 by Dr. Gunaretnam Rajagopal (through A*STAR) as an "IT services and bioinformatics support unit," with a transition to a biological research center in 2007. Aside from performing research across 20 teams, the BII has worked with the School of Computer Engineering at the Nanyang Technological University since 2010 to train graduates towards a a PhD in bioinformatics.
The following bioinformatics-related options exist for potential students:
- Ph.D. in Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
- "Students of the PhD program are expected to submit their thesis within three to four years."
- Available online? No
- Program URL: http://www.bii.a-star.edu.sg/010.php
- "About BII". Bioinformatics Institute. http://www.bii.a-star.edu.sg/aboutBII.php. Retrieved 26 September 2016.
- Eisenhaber, F.. "Executive Director's Message". Bioinformatics Institute. http://www.bii.a-star.edu.sg/aboutBII/director_msg.php. Retrieved 26 September 2016.
- "PhD program in Computational Biology and Bioinformatics". Bioinformatics Institute. 2015. http://www.bii.a-star.edu.sg/010.php. Retrieved 26 September 2016.