The Benefits of APIs in LIMS Applications
The real power of LIMS can be unlocked when it is integrated with other software systems used by laboratories. This is where APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) come in – they allow LIMS applications to communicate with other software systems and devices, enabling a seamless flow of data and workflows across the laboratory ecosystem.
What is an API
API is an application programming interface that allows two or more software to communicate with each other. In LIMS, it refers to allowing developers to access and modify the data and functions of the LIMS.
For example, imagine a laboratory receiving hundreds of samples every day from different sources, such as customers, research partners, and internal teams. Instead of manually entering the sample information into the LIMS system, the laboratory can use an API provided by their LIMS vendor, such as QLIMS, to automatically submit sample information from external sources into the LIMS system.
What is a REST API?
A REST (Representational State Transfer) API is a type of API that relies on HTTP requests to access and manipulate data. It operates on the principles of a client-server architecture and uses standard HTTP methods.
In the context of LIMS, a REST API can provide several benefits to laboratories:
- Integration with other systems – REST APIs enables seamless integration between the LIMS system and other software systems, such as electronic health records (EHRs), laboratory instruments, or customer portals.
- Configuration and automation – It can provide developers with the ability to customize the LIMS software to meet their specific needs.
- Independence – The REST protocol separates the data storage and the UI from the server. This means that developers can work on different areas of a project independently.
- Data analysis and visualization – REST APIs can be used to extract data from the LIMS system for analysis and visualization purposes.
- Scalable & flexible – REST APIs can be scaled quickly due to the separation between the client and the server. Additionally, developers can also easily integrate REST APIs without much-added work.
The QLIMS API
QLIMS has a comprehensive REST API encompassing the entire application which is well documented, with technical support available from the OnQ support team and our regional certified partners. If your integration isn’t part of our catalogue then it can be easily created and the solution extended to your unique needs.
QLIMS API helps laboratories with a standardized and efficient way to integrate, customize, and automate. By leveraging REST APIs, laboratories can improve their efficiency, accuracy, and overall performance, ultimately delivering better services to their customers.