Utilizing Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) for Lab Automation
In many scientific laboratories, routine laboratory operations are still carried out using manual, paper-based systems. Paper-based systems can be everything from transcribing instrument test results to managing inventories and documenting and scheduling instrument calibrations on spreadsheets. Lab automation is a critical business re-engineering that is enabled and optimized with the implementation of a good LIMS solution. Without the core LIMS technology, true lab automation can not be achieved and reliance on paper will continue to hold back growth. This reliance on paper has many negative side effects:
- decreases the efficiency of the laboratory workplace
- stifles innovation by forcing scientists into manual activities when they could be doing actual science
- leaves the laboratory vulnerable to having valuable data misplaced, lost or destroyed
- creates data integrity issues due to manual data transcription
- exposes the company to regulatory risk due to data integrity and audit trail challenges
Informatics solutions, such a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS), have been widely adopted across industries in order to meet these challenges. While LIMS provide a diverse array of functionality that serves to improve laboratory operations, the most important feature of a LIMS may be the ability to automate manual processes. In this blog, we will discuss some of the most important ways that LIMS can help automate your laboratory.
Please to read the entire article.